First National Bank of Pomeroy

Also known as: Black Building, Pomeroy Senior Center
695 Main Street, Pomeroy, WA

Gothic Revival/Italianate 2 story brick and cast iron bank built in 1887

Photos 

First National Bank of Pomeroy

Photo taken by Richard Doody in September 2016

Enlarge

Description 

The building has an ornate brick cornice decorated with raised pilasters, inset cross designs, corbel courses, and peaked parapets over two of the bays. The storefronts on south (front) and east sides are supported by cast-iron columns with bases imprinted with a maker's mark that is imprinted with "Cherry and Parkes, Albany, Oregon." The metal fined bank safe has a hand painted scene on the door. The safe was purchased from the W.B. Wilshire & Co. of San Francisco and Portland.

The bank closed its doors in 1898 after the depression of the _ mid-1890s. The Pomeroy Savings Bank moved into the building in 1898 and occupied the space until 1905 when the bank erected a new structure on the opposite side of the street to the east.

Update Log 

  • May 15, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody