753 Main Street, Pomeroy, WA
Commercial/Queen Anne style single story brick building built in 1904
Photo taken by Richard Doody in September 2016
This one-story brick building has a raised parapet covered with a pressed metal cornice and a spandrel decorated with swags, florets, semi-circles, and an egg and dart pattern. Brick pilasters flank the two storefront bays that are separated by a raised pilaster. The storefronts have been altered by enclosing the transoms and bulkheads with Roman brick, installing non-canvas awnings, and altering the doors and windows to aluminum sash.
E. Richardson had a second hand store in the building until 1912
when the business was sold to George F. Cluck. By 1922, the structure housed Sparkman's Barber Shop in the west half and Herbert Kuykendall's Tire Shop in the east half, and by 1930, a store was in the west half and Berringer Shoe Shop in the east. From the mid-to-late 1930s to the 1980s, the east half of the building was used as an insurance office.
- May 15, 2018: Added by Richard Doody