Walla Walla County Courthouse

315 W Main Street, Walla Walla, WA

Classical Revival county courthouse built in 1916

Photos 

Walla Walla County Courthouse

Photo taken by Richard Doody in November 2015

Enlarge

Description 

Walla Walla County's 1881 Courthouse (which looked much like the present courthouse in neighboring Columbia County) was condemned as structurally unsound in 1913. County offices were temporarily moved to the Elks building while a two year political debate over costs of replacement played out.

The new courthouse was designed by the firm of Osterman & Subert in the Classical Revival style and constructed of Indiana limestone with marble staircases. J.B. Sweat & Company of Spokane began construction in 1915. The building was completed on September 27, 1916 at a cost of $143,157.

Update Log 

  • May 16, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody