Late Art Deco 3 story brick courthouse built in 1940
On December 28, 1891, the Adams County Commissioners approved a bond for a new courthouse. A construction contract was awarded to Burnham & Clapp of Spokane, Washington on Feb. 23, 1892, for the sum of $19,945. The new courthouse was a two-story brick building with a four-story tower and a stone basement. It was completed and officially accepted by the commissioners on August 20, 1892.
In the original budget proposal for 1940, the Commissioners appropriated $65,000 for remodeling and building an addition to the courthouse. After some discussion and a presentation by Architect H. C. Whitehouse of the firm of Whitehouse and Price of Spokane, Washington, the commissioners were considering a new courthouse at a cost of $120,000. The new courthouse would be a three-story main building with a two-story jail at the rear. Construction was completed by December 1940. Razing of the old courthouse was completed by the end of May 1941. It was dedicated on September 5, 1941.