Saint James Cathedral

804 9th Avenue, Seattle, WA

Renaissance Revival Catholic Cathedral built between 1905 and 1907

Photos 

Saint James Cathedral

Photo taken by Richard Doody in May 2018

Enlarge

Description 

St. James Cathedral was designed by the firm of Heins & LaFarge in the Renaissance Revival style. Planning for the cathedral began in 1903 when Bishop Edward O'Dea decided to move the seat of the Diocese of Nisqually (subsequently renamed the Diocese of Seattle) from Vancouver. He purchased the site that year and construction began in 1905. The cathedral was dedicated on December 22, 1907. On February 2, 1916, the 60-foot dome which crowned the cathedral collapsed under the weight of heavy snow accumulation and was never rebuilt. The cathedral's twin spires stand 167' tall.

Update Log 

  • May 30, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody