Harvey W. Scott Statue
Mt. Tabor Park, Portland, OR
Bronze statue of Harvey W. Scott by Gutzon Borglum installed in 1933
Harvey W. Scott
Photo taken by Richard Doody in April 2011
Harvey W. Scott is a 1933 bronze sculpture by Gutzon Borglum. Harvey W. Scott came to Portland, Oregon as youth and gained prominence as editor of the Oregonian newspaper and author of a comprehensive history of the city. The city commission Borglum to erect a statue of Scott on Mt. Tabor in 1928. A model was placed there in 1930 and the finished bronze was finally dedicated in 1933. Borglum, a well established sculptor, was already in the midst of working on his masterpiece, Mt. Rushmore, when he accepted the Scott commission.
- June 11, 2018: Added by Richard Doody