2002 N Main Street, Santa Ana, CA
Spanish Colonial Revival style art museum built in 1932
Photo taken by Richard Doody in January 2015
The Bowers Museum is built on land donated to the city of Santa Ana by Charles W. and Ada Elvira Bowers, pioneer citrus growers and land developers in Orange County. Their bequest also included $100,000 for construction of the museum devoted to the history of Orange County. The original Spanish Colonial/Mission Revival building was completed in 1932 but the city operated museum was unable to open until 1936 due to the financial constraints imposed by the Great Depression. The museum has since expanded both physically and in the scope of its collections which now include the arts of the Pacific Rim and China as well as Orange County.
- June 23, 2018: Added by Richard Doody