Coronado Bank Building
Also known as: First National Bank of Coronado1190 Orange Avenue, Coronado, CA
Beaux-Arts bank and commercial building built in 1916
Bank of Coronado
Photo taken by Richard Doody in 2006
Harrison Albright designed this complex, which included a bank, a vaudeville/motion picture theater, stores, apartments, and office suites for businessman John D. Spreckles. Albright's Beaux-Arts styling combined elaborate exterior decorative detailing and colossal pilasters. A protruding belt-course near the roof line, punctuated with stylized lions’ heads, as well as a frieze garnished with fleurs-de-lis, accentuated the elegant bend of the massive building, which traces Coronado’s main thoroughfare.
The structure follows the graceful curves of Orange Avenue for 372 feet, and then sharply rounds the corner onto Loma Avenue for an additional 211 feet.
Two-stories in height, the architect specified reinforced concrete construction of heavy design, ‘corresponding to Class A buildings in San Diego,’ making it as ‘permanent and fireproof’ as possible. A
- June 29, 2018: Added by Richard Doody