130 N Main Street, Butte, MT
Six story Richardsonian Romanesque Department Store built in 1896
Photo taken by Richard Doody in June 2019
+46.01432, -112.5356046°00'52" N, 112°32'08" W
In 1896 Daniel Hennessy, one of Butte’s most prominent entrepreneurs, obtained title from Marcus Daly for a lot at Broadway and Main, and hired one of Minneapolis’ most distinguished architects, Fredrick Kees, to design what would become Montana’s largest and most elegant department store. Kees used steel, terra cotta, brick, decorative glass and iron grillwork to create a magnificent six-story mercantile in a Romanesque Revival design current with architecture in the most cosmopolitan cities.
When the Anaconda Copper Mining Company moved to the sixth floor of the Hennessy Building in 1901, the company could fully survey an economic and political empire from atop the city’s tallest, most contemporary structure.
- June 27, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
- July 6, 2018: Added by Richard Doody