Main Hall, Montana School of Mines

Also known as: Main Hall, Montana Tech
1300 W Park Street, Butte, MT

Renaissance Revival college hall built in 1897

Photos 

Main Hall, Montana School of Mines

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 2006

Enlarge

Description 

The cornerstone of Main Hall was laid in the fall of 1896. The Renaissance Revival style building, completed in 1897, was designed by Montana’s premier architect John C. Paulsen. The two story, terra-cotta faced, building is topped with an entablature naming the school's principle disciplines; physics, geology, minerology, metallurgy and chemistry; below these are ornamental bas-relief portraits of famed scientists in those fields, Benjamin Franklin, John Percy, Moritz Gaetzschmann, Thomas Hunt and Alexander Holly.

The completed building presided over Butte, unoccupied for lack of operating funds, for three years. Thanks to the generosity of local benefactors, the school finally opened to 39 students in 1900.

Tags 

19th Century (37,680)
Built 1897 (506)
Built during 1890s (7,615)
Montana (2,191)
School (5,045)
Silver Bow County, Montana (359)

Update Log 

  • July 7, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody