Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church

Idaho & Porphyry Streets, Butte, MT

Serbian Orthodox church built in 1905

Photos 

Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 2006

Enlarge

Description 

Thirty-five families attended the first Serbian Orthodox services, conducted by a visiting priest in 1897. The first Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church was built at Porphyry and Idaho streets in 1905. Archbishop Tikhon of Moscow, head of the Orthodox Church in the United States, came to Butte from New York City to dedicate the church in 1906. It was the second Serbian Orthodox church built in North America. By 1910, Butte’s Serbian population numbered more than four thousand and eventually grew to ten thousand. The original building fell into disrepair, and between 1964 and 1965 the congregation demolished it and built another on Continental Drive. The cornerstones of the demolished church are now displayed in front of the new one.

Update Log 

  • July 5, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Updated description
  • July 7, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody