French Renaissance & Romanesque style hotel built in 1889
Chicago Architect W.W. Boyington designed the hotel in a mix of French Renaissance and Romanesque styles. The hotel was a four story structure built of red brick with terra cotta ornamentation. The building is setback 10 feet from the Main Street sidewalk and features a 34 foot wide central arched entrance resting on terra cotta columns with a pediment above. The hotel interior included a full basement equipped with a servant's dining room, a laundry, boilers, and a dynamo for electric light generation. The first and second floors, contained the main dining room, a ladies' ordinary, billiard hall, drug store, and barber shop.
In 1975, heavy financial burdens and potential bankruptcy faced the Montana Hotel Corporation and the building was sold to a local developer in 1976. An aggressive program of structural renovation was begun, including the removal of the hotel's two upper stories.