St. Paul's Episcopal Church

102 E Idaho Street, Virginia City, MT

Gothic Revival church built in 1903

Photos 

St. Paul's Episcopal Church

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 1978

Enlarge

Description 

Virginia City is the home of Montanaís first Episcopal congregation, which originally met above a saloon in town. The first Episcopal Church in town was a frame structure bought from the Methodist congregation. Bishop Daniel Sylvester Tuttle presided over the first services there in late May of 1868.

Mrs. Henry Elling donated $20,000 for the construction of the St. Paulís Elling Memorial Church in 1903. The building was designed by Fennel & Grove Architects of Butte and built by local carpenter James Emslie. The pink and gray stones for the church were quarried locally and the cornerstone was laid on March 28, 1903.

Update Log 

  • August 9, 2019: New photos from David Jones
  • July 18, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody
  • David Jones