Two story Neo-classic courthouse built in 1876
Virginia City was incorporated early in 1864 when it was part of the Territory of Idaho. When Montana Territory was formed a short time later Madison County became one of its eight original counties. The Territorial Legislature named Virginia City as territorial capital in 1865, replacing Bannack as the seat of government. Virginia City lost the Territorial Capital to Helena in 1875 but the town remains the Madison County seat.