209 Wallace Street, Virginia City, MT
Two story Neo-classic Masonic lodge hall built in 1867
Photo taken by Richard Doody in 1978
+45.29350, -111.9459645°17'37" N, 111°56'45" W
Loren B. Olds was the architect of the classic cut stone facade of the Masonic Hall that rose in the summer of 1867. Stephen J. Gainan was the master stone mason. The hard rock was quarried on the hill northeast of Virginia City. The building would be the most expensive erected in Montana at that time costing $35,000.00. Much of the tremendous cost was transportation charges for shipping barrels of real Portland Cement from St. Louis to Fort Benton by steamboat and then hauling them 300 miles by ox team to Virginia City in order that the walls would stand the test of time.
The Grand Lodge of Montana, Virginia City Lodge No.1, held the first meeting in the new building on December 27, 1867, when it was dedicated by the Episcopal Bishop of Montana Daniel Tuttle.
Hardware stores under various proprietors occupied the ground floor until 1916 when the U.S. Post Office located here.
- December 8, 2019: New photos from David Jones
- July 18, 2018: Added by Richard Doody
- Richard Doody
- David Jones