Indian Spring Cemetery
Also known as: Indian Springs, Creek Cemetery, Pineapple River Cemetery5400 Indian Springs Road, Punta Gorda, FL.
Indian Spring Cemetery, resting on the banks of Alligator Creek, is Charlotte County's second oldest cemetery.
Photo taken by BoomersOTR in July 2018
+26.88876, -82.0144826°53'20" N, 82°00'52" W
Indian Spring Cemetery, also called Indian Springs, was created in 1886 on land donated by James L. Sandlin (1858-1903), who settled on Alligator Creek in 1884. Additions were recorded in 1891, 1931, 1974 and 1975. The name "Indian Spring" came from a small spring near the creek that was thought to have been used by native tribal dwellers. The 40-acre cemetery is the second known graveyard established in the Charlotte Harbor area and the first publically-owned burial ground. Owned and maintained by Charlotte County since 1948, it contains over 2,500 verified interments, some unmarked, dating back to 1889.
- July 27, 2018: Added by BoomersOTR