No longer exists
2535 S Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV
1,720 room hotel & casino built in 1952
Photo taken by Richard Doody in August 2011
The first casino built on this site was Club Bingo, which opened in 1947. The Sahara Hotel, built by Del Webb, replaced it in 1952. The entrance, topped by an onion-dome minaret, was designed to set the resort's Moroccan theme for arriving guests. Louis Prima's jazz trio featuring Keely Smith and Sam Butera opened the late night lounge in 1954 and Abbott and Costello appeared together for the last time on the Sahara stage in 1956. The Sahara closed on May 16, 2011.
- July 30, 2018: Added by Richard Doody