Lewiston Commercial Historic District
Photo taken by Brian Bartlett in January 2014
+44.09853, -70.2180744°05'55" N, 70°13'05" W
Lewiston Commercial Historic District, Androscoggin County, 1850 - 1968
Date listed: 10/4/2018
Criterion A: Commerce, Communication, Education, Community Planning, Entertainment/Recreation Criterion C: Architecture Local Significance
The Lewiston Commercial Historic District is significant under National Register Criterion A in the areas of Community Planning, Commerce, Communication, Education and Entertainment and Recreation. Lewiston was a planned city, designed and developed by the Lewiston Water Power Company to support their industrial development of the water power of the Androscoggin River. The district was planned as the city's primary commercial district, located between the mills and residential neighborhoods. As the most intact remaining section of the historically dense commercial downtown in Lewiston, the district illustrates a common pattern of retail and commercial uses in first floor spaces with office, fraternal, or residential spaces above and was a hub for the city's shopping, professional, social, cultural and entertainment activities. The Lewiston Commercial Historic District is also significant under National Register Criterion C in the area of Architecture. The eighty-two buildings comprise a visually cohesive grouping of commercial, institutional, and mixed-use commercial and residential buildings built between 1850 and 2018 which generally retain a high degree of historic integrity. The buildings express the distinct characteristics of nineteenth and twentieth century types, periods and methods of construction. The eighteen identified architect designed buildings demonstrate the influence of Greek Revival, Italianate, Romanesque Revival, and Beaux Arts styles with examples of the Art Deco style as well. The non-contributing resources are primarily buildings from the period of significance which have been altered sufficiently to no longer convey their historic significance or were constructed on the sites of earlier buildings after the period of significance. Character defining features of the district include many buildings built to the lot lines, commercial storefronts on nearly all of the buildings, predominantly masonry construction, undulating pattern of building heights, and flat roofs on most buildings. The period of significance for the district, 1850 - 1968, represents the date of the Lewiston Water Power Company's urban plan for the district as well as the earliest building date and extends to fifty years before the present.
- September 28, 2018: Added by Brian Bartlett