St. Helena Catholic Church

155 Museum Way, Butte, MT

Vernacular wood frame Catholic Church built in 1921

Photos 

St. Helena Catholic Church

Photo taken by Richard Doody in September 2018

Enlarge

Description 

St. Helena's Church was built in Meaderville, MT in 1921 to serve that town's predominately Italian population. The church was moved to its present site at the World Museum of Mining in Butte in 1966. Meaderville was consumed by the Anaconda Copper Mining Company's Berkeley Pit operation. The town was located on what is now the northeast side of the Berkeley Pit. Meaderville's other Catholic Church, Holy Savior, was left in place and eventually buried beneath the millions of tons of overburden removed from the mine.

Update Log 

  • September 30, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody