401 W Park Street, Butte, MT
Six story colonial style brick building built in 1919
Photo taken by Richard Doody in September 2018
The cornerstone was laid in 1917 for this multi-purpose facility, designed by international Y.M.C.A. architects. All contracting, however, went to local firms. The $350,000 building opened in 1919, entirely paid for by citizens’ contributions and built by local laborers. It was “in a very real sense a workingmen’s club.” The six-story landmark included a bowling alley, temperance bar, dormitory rooms, a cork-carpeted running track, and two-story gymnasium. Skylights originally brightened both the second-floor swimming pool and locker rooms, and the library was specially wired to accommodate a “moving motion picture machine” for use by mine rescue and first aid personnel. Following early-twentieth-century conventions, boys and men were strictly separated as the North Washington Street entry inscription “Boys Entrance” demonstrates.
- September 30, 2018: Added by Richard Doody