First Presbyterian Church

Also known as: Covellite Theater
215 W Broadway, Butte, MT

Gothic Revival brick church built in 1896

Photos 

First Presbyterian Church

Photo taken by Richard Doody in September 2018

Enlarge

Description 

While Butte's personality was taking shape in the form of impressive commercial building, the construction of five major churches in little more than two decades added grace and decorum to the city's demeanor. The Presbyterians, organized in Butte in 1878, commissioned the town's most prominent architect, H. M. Patterson, to design their new church. Patterson, whose style left an indelible print on Butte's streetscape, completed the building in 1896. The wood frame construction with brick veneer is enhanced by a square tower, double arched doors, and an elaborate stained glass window set in Gothic arches. The church late ceased to be a Presbyterian Church and was repurposed as a performing arts theatre, the Covellite Theatre.

Tags 

19th Century (36,931)
Built 1896 (573)
Built during 1890s (7,375)
Church (5,550)
Montana (1,623)
Place of worship (5,909)
Silver Bow County, Montana (138)

Update Log 

  • September 30, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody