22-30 S Main Street, Butte, MT
Two story brick & cast iron commercial building built in 1894
Iona Cafe (left) & Pincus Building (right)
Photo taken by Richard Doody in September 2018
The Pincus Building is named for Adolph Pincus, an entrepreneur who dabbled in real estate, sold cigars, ran a copper precipitation plant, and referred to himself as a “capitalist” which in those days pretty much meant an investor. The building was originally a saloon and pawn shop, and over time it has contained a restaurant and various stores, including the Butte Saddlery Company whose ghost sign survives on the south face of the Building. Robert Nickel was Pincus’ architect for the building which has a large, cast-iron storefront with ornate capitals at the lintle beam. There are also elaborate brickwork string courses, window details, and a cornice.
- October 1, 2018: Added by Richard Doody