Sayr's Building

103 North Sansome Street, Philipsburg, MT

Cast iron & sheet metal front commercial block built in 1888

Photos 

Sayr's Building (right) & Broadway Hotel (left)

Photo taken by Richard Doody in September 2018

Enlarge

Description 

First known as the Hyde Block, this building was constructed by banker Joseph Hyde and his wife, Mary, in 1888. It housed the First National Bank until the silver crash of 1893. In 1904, Frank Sayrs purchased the building and it has since held a number of businesses including a tailorís shop, drug stores, and a recreation center. The fine design of this two-story commercial structure features a chamfered, or beveled, corner with a modillioned metal cornice and pediment. Metal store front was fabricated by Mesker Brothers Front Builders, St. Louis, Missouri.

Update Log 

  • October 2, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody