Walker Commercial Company

109 East Broadway Street Philipsburg, MT

Sheet metal storefront built in 1905

Photo 

Walker Commercial Company

Photo taken by Richard Doody in September 2018

Enlarge

Description 

Prominent Missoula architect A. J. Gibson designed and built this two-story commercial building in 1905. The fine design includes a metal modillioned cornice and panels with a full height glass storefront and polished granite skirt below. The Walker Company operated stores in both Philipsburg and nearby Granite, selling dry goods and hardware. The Golden Rule handled similar merchandise at this location in the 1920s, and Philipsburg Hardware carried on the same tradition beginning in 1932.

Update Log 

  • October 2, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody