Nebo Lutheran Chapel and Cemetery
1887 W. Main St.; Mount Jewett, PA
Swedish Lutheran Church and cemetery
Photo taken by Brian Manville on October 1, 2018
+41.72561, -78.6581041°43'32" N, 78°39'29" W
The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Nebo Church was organized in 1886 as the first Lutheran Congregational in the Mount Jewett area. The octagonal shaped church was built in 1887 and was patterned after Ersta Kyrka at Danviken, near Stockholm, Sweden.
The name Nebo comes from the mountain where the Old Testament Patriarch Moses stood when he viewed the Promised Land.
Nebo Congregation served as the only Lutheran Parish for the community until 1919 when Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized. In 1950, Nebo and Zion Congregations merged to form Saint Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church.
- April 22, 2020: New Street View added by Michael Miller
- October 2, 2018: Added by Brian Manville
- Brian Manville
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com