East Broadway Street Philipsburg, MT
Photo taken by Richard Doody in September 2018
Colonel J. W. Morse built Morse Hall in 1887. This elaborately detailed public lecture hall also served as county courthouse from 1893 to 1913, as well as an opera house, town hall, library, and general community center. Its splendid second-story dance floor was the scene of many gala community dances as well as basketball games. The pressed metal cornice, hood moldings, and full storefront supported by cast-iron columns make this building a fine example of commercial vernacular architecture. The foundry mark on the columns and threshold plate read, "Jno. Stedman, Helena, M.T." M.T. standing for Montana Territory.
- October 2, 2018: Added by Richard Doody