212 East Broadway Street Philipsburg, MT
Two story brick & cast iron storefront built in 1887
Photo taken by Richard Doody in September 2018
Around the mountain from the mining camp of Cable in 1866 came Polish-born merchant William Weinstein with a wagon-load of goods to sell. He became Philipsburg’s first general merchant, constructing the eastern half of this building in the late 1870s or early 1880s to house his business. Ike Sparey located his restaurant and hotel in the western half, completed circa 1887. The structure has since served as a bank, a mortuary, and since 1950 as mining company offices for the current owner, the Taylor-Knapp Company. Second-story balconies, ornamental brickwork, and battlements complement this well-preserved example of 1880s commercial architecture. The foundry mark on the columns and threshold plate reads, "Jno. Stedman Helena, M.T." M.T. standing for Montana Territory.
- October 2, 2018: Added by Richard Doody