H.C. Hopkins House

409 W Granite Street, Butte, MT

Italianate brick town house built in 1897

Photo 

H.C. Hopkins House

Photo taken by Richard Doody in September 2018

Enlarge

Description 

The original owner of this house was H.C. Hopkins, who appears to have died or left Butte by 1900. There were other Hopkins nearby; Olivia, widow of Robert P. Hopkins, lived at 413 West Granite at least from 1893 to 1899 when she moved to San Francisco. Since there is no 413 West Granite address, and because the address scheme changed during the 1890s, it is possible that Olivia and Robert actually lived at the 409 address.

Behind this house, on the alley, in 1888 were two large “stove warehouses” that belonged to William Jack, a dealer in stoves, hardware, and pumps who lived at 403-405 West Granite. In 1890, a carpenter’s shop and alley dwelling stood behind this home.

Tags 

19th Century (36,931)
Built 1897 (488)
Built during 1890s (7,375)
House (27,090)
Montana (1,623)
Silver Bow County, Montana (138)

Update Log 

  • October 8, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody