829 W Park Street, Butte, MT
Neo-Classical (Georgian) style mansion built in 1906
Photo taken by Richard Doody in September 2018
+46.01255, -112.5487046°00'45" N, 112°32'55" W
This Neoclassical Revival mansion was built in 1906 for Cornelius “Con” Kelley, the last Butte’s powerful “Copper Kings”. Kelly came to Butte as a young boy in 1883, and grew up in Walkerville, while his father managed Marcus Daly’s Anaconda Mine. After graduating from Butte High in 1892, Con worked underground and at surface jobs on Butte Hill before enrolling in University of Michigan. He received a degree in mining engineering followed by a law degree in 1898. Kelley and his wife, Mary Tremblay Kelley, moved into the home in August 1907. The Kelleys remained on West Park until the Anaconda Copper Mining Company moved its headquarters and Con, now a vice president, from Butte to New York City in 1914. After succeeding John D. Ryan as president in the late 1910s, Con directed the company’s mammoth global expansion, and ushered it through the difficult years of the Great Depression and World War II. He retired in New York City in 1955.
The mansion, designed by W.A. O'Brien, features a large circular entrance portico with multiple Ionic columns supporting both the second floor porch and a large third floor porch with decorative balustrade. Guests visiting the third floor ballroom could spill out onto this porch with its expansive views. The interior includes three fireplaces, a central oak staircase with pink stained glass at the landing, coffered wood ceilings, and carved capital details.There is a beautiful library with curved top doors, another room is called "the President's Room as FDR visited this home and was pictured on the front steps.
- October 8, 2018: Added by Richard Doody