146th Field Artillery Regiment Memorial

755 NE Myra Road, Walla Walla, WA

Memorial to the 146th Field Artillery Washington National Guard dedicated in 2002

Photos 

146th Field Artillery Regiment Memorial

Photo taken by Richard Doody in April 2013

Enlarge

Description 

The 146th Field Artillery Regiment of the Washington National Guard was originally formed at Fort Walla Walla. The 146th was part of the first brigade of the American Expeditionary Force. The regiment arrived in France on January 16, 1918. After training at Camp de Souge, 10 miles southwest of Bordeaux, the 146th enter combat on July 9, 1918. They saw action during the St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne offensives and returned home in 1919 along with four of the French made 155mm Filloux cannons used during the war. Two of the artillery pieces were destroyed in a WWII scrap drive and the surviving pair were restored and placed on display at the entrance to Fort Walla Walla Park. They were dedicated as a war memorial on Armistice Day 2002.

Update Log 

  • December 1, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
  • December 1, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody