Hunter Conservatory, Whitman College

345 Boyer Avenue, Walla Walla, WA

Neo-Classical/Georgian Revival style music conservatory built in 1910

Photos 

Hunter Conservatory, Whitman College

Photo taken by Richard Doody in May 2010

Enlarge

Description 

Whitman College’s Hunter Conservatory is located on the site of the original Seminary Building (1866), which, after expansion, became Ladies Hall (1884-1902) and was later renamed Prentiss Hall (1902-1909). In 1909 the building was moved across College Creek to make way for the construction of the Conservatory of Music in 1910. Designed by Portland architect Ellis F. Lawrence, the conservatory is an elegant example of Neo-Classical style and Georgian Revival detailing. Distinctive interior features include leaded stained-glass skylights over the atrium and the recital hall, detailing of wood pilasters and railings, and a mosaic tile floor set with a Greek Key pattern. The conservatory housed Whitman’s music department until it moved into a new facility in 1985.

Update Log 

  • December 2, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
  • December 2, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody