Museum of Glass

1801 Dock Street, Tacoma, WA

75,000 square foot museum opened in 2002

Photos 

Museum of Glass

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 2010

Enlarge

Description 

Canadian architect Arthur Erickson designed the Museum of Glass as a gallery space and a hot shop shaped as an angled cone. The cone was patterned after the wigwam burners of the sawmills that once lined Tacoma's waterfront. It is composed of 2,800 diamond-shaped stainless steel panels and measures 100 feet at the base. Construction began in June 2000 and the museum opened on July 6, 2002.

Update Log 

  • December 23, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
  • December 23, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody