A.V. Fawcett Fountain

Eighth & A Streets, Tacoma, WA

Rusticated stone drinking fountain built in 1908

Photos 

A.V. Fawcett Fountain

Photo taken by Richard Doody in June 2012

Enlarge

Description 

This rusticated stone column drinking fountain was donated to the city of Tacoma in 1908 by its colorful if somewhat corrupt four term mayor, Angelo V. "wheelbarrow" Fawcett. It was designed to match one his honor had seen on a Long Beach, California, wharf. It was originally installed at the intersection of St. Helens Avenue, Ninth and C Street but moved to its present location at Eight and A Streets after the owner of a cigar store adjacent to the first location complained that it was blocking access to his premises.

Update Log 

  • December 31, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
  • December 31, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody