Great Southern Railroad Depot

1006 E Second Street, The Dalles, OR

Wood frame railway depot built in 1912

Photos 

Great Southern Railroad Depot

Photo taken by Richard Doody in April 2013

Enlarge

Description 

The Great Southern Railroad of Wasco County, Oregon, was built in 1905 by John Heimrich and his son J.G. Heimrich. It ran from The Dalles to Dufur, along 15 Mile Creek. In 1913 it was extended to Friend, along Pine Creek. Their original intention was to build a railroad from the Columbia River, through central Oregon, to San Francisco.But in 1909-1911, James Hill and Edward Harriman built competing railroads up the Deschutes River to Bend, and that ended Heimrich’s plan. The original depot in The Dalles was destroyed by fire in 1910 and was rebuilt in 1912.

Tags 

Built 1912 (924)
Built during 1910s (8,606)
Oregon (2,458)
Railroad (1,793)
Railroad depot (1,411)
Wasco County, Oregon (78)

Update Log 

  • January 5, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • January 5, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody