French & Company Bank

Also known as: Gayer Building
300 E Second Street, The Dalles, OR

Neo-classical style bank built in 1879 renovated in the 1920s

Photos 

French & Company Bank

Photo taken by Richard Doody in May 2015

Enlarge

Description 

The French & Company Bank was built in 1879 to house the establishment of brothers Joshua W. & Daniel W. French. It was the first bank opened in The Dalles. French & Company bank closed in 1922, having been run out of business by a rival bank. The building was renovated in the 1920s with a terra cotta facade for the Citizens National Bank. It was later known as the Gayer Building and has been home to a drugstore, a soda fountain, a camera studio and, most recently, Gayer's Jewelry.

Tags 

19th Century (37,381)
Bank (1,335)
Built 1879 (297)
Built during 1870s (4,969)
Commercial building (6,003)
Oregon (2,461)
Wasco County, Oregon (78)

Update Log 

  • January 5, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • January 5, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody