121 S Canyon City Blvd., Canyon City, OR
Hand hewn timber frame jail built in 1910
Photo taken by Richard Doody in June 2011
Greenhorn was founded in 1891 and incorporated in 1903. The town encompasses 53 acres and once boasted 500 residents, plus 1,500 frontier-era gold miners from the surrounding diggings who picked up their mail at its post office. It had two hotels, five saloons, three general stores, a newspaper, city hall and jail, two livery stables, a meat market, a water tower and a municipal horse racing track. Today it is Oregon's least populated and highest elevated (6,306' above sea level) incorporated city.
The Greenhorn Jail (built in 1910) was removed to Canyon City under suspicious circumstances. A court case ensued demanding its return, but because Greenhorn straddles the Blue Mountain ridge, the district attorneys of Baker County and Grant County could not even agree in which court house trial should be held. The case was eventually heard by the Circuit Court for Grant County in Canyon City. The jail remains in Canyon City on the grounds of the Grant County Museum.
- January 10, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
- January 10, 2019: Added by Richard Doody