Sumpter Valley Railway

211 Austin Street, Sumpter, OR

Narrow gauge railway built between 1890 and 1910

Photos 

Sumpter Valley Railway

Photo taken by Richard Doody in August 2012

Enlarge

Description 

The Sumpter Valley Railway was a 3 foot narrow gauge rail line charter in 1890 by David Eccles to supply his lumber mill in Baker City with timber from the Blue Mountains. The line was completed to Sumpter in 1896. It reached its western terminus at Prairie City, Grant County in 1910. The line abandoned the 22 miles of track from Prairie City to Austin in 1933. It discontinued passenger service in 1937 and freight operations in 1961. The Sumpter Valley's locomotives and rolling stock were sold to the White Pass & Yukon Railway at that time.

Sumpter Valley Railroad Restoration Inc. was formed in 1976 and restored the 6 miles of track between McEwen and Sumpter. Passenger operations commenced on July 4th of that year. The SVRR first locomotive was a 1915 Heisler. The White Pass & Yukon returned Alco Mikado locomotives and several hopper cars to the SVRR in the early 1990s.

Tags 

19th Century (37,425)
Baker County, Oregon (98)
Built 1890 (930)
Built during 1890s (7,517)
In operation (2,194)
Oregon (2,461)
Railroad (1,813)
Railroad line (42)

Update Log 

  • January 10, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • January 10, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • January 10, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • January 10, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody