Paddle-wheel from the steamship Henderson built in 1901
In December 1956, with a grain ship in tow, the Henderson encountered heavy swells near the mouth of the Columbia. The vessel's hull pounded so hard against the unyielding tow that the crew was forced to beach her near Columbia City. The ship was declared a total loss, and remained beached on the shore until 1964 when it was burned to salvage scrap metal.
The paddle-wheel was removed and placed on display outside the Hood River County History Museum in 1977.