French Second Empire style lighthouse with keeper's house built in 1871
The lighthouse, designed by Albert R. Dow, a graduate engineer from the University of Vermont, was constructed by Luther Whitney in 1870 – 1871 at a cost of $24,500. It was replaced with an automated beacon in 1933. The abandoned structure was sold for salvage in 1952 and purchased for the Shelburne Museum. The timbers used in the stairway, doors, and windows were all numbered before the lighthouse was disassembled. It was then painstakingly re-erected, piece by piece, on the grounds of the Museum in the fall of 1952.