State Heritage Area opened in 1925
In January 1812, trappers and traders of the Astor overland expedition, under the leadership of Wilson Price Hunt, crossed the Blue Mountains in this vicinity, thus establishing the route later used by Oregon Trail emigrants. In the 1880's, the trail was replaced by the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company railroad. Land for a state park was acquired from private owners between 1925 and 1970. Extensive day-use developments were made in the 1930's by the Civilian Conservation Corps.