Old Montgomery County Courthouse

9 Park Street, Fonda, NY

Greek Revival courthouse designed by Lawrence Marcellus built in 1836

Photos 

Old Montgomery County Courthouse

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 1990

Enlarge

Description 

This two-story Greek Revival style structure, on a raised stone foundation, was built in 1836. The north, gabled end, has a wide porch with four large fluted Ionic columns rising to a wide pediment at the roofline. The entrance is recessed. On the center of the roof is a large green dome with a cupola at the top. In 1892 a new courthouse had to be built, due to the noise of the railroad which ran right in front of it. Today this building is home to the Montgomery County Department of History and Archives.

Update Log 

  • February 2, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • February 2, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody