C.F. Clapp Building

725 Water Street, Port Townsend, WA

Two story brick & cast iron commercial building built in 1885

Photos 

C.F. Clapp Building

Photo taken by Richard Doody in January 2010

Enlarge

Description 

Cyrus F. Clapp built this substantial two story building in 1885. It was constructed with walls four bricks thick and a cast iron facade from the Washington Iron Works of Seattle for a cost of $13,000.

Peyser Brother Dry Goods was the first tenant followed by the Merchants Bank, operated by J. H. Feuerbach & C. F. Clapp. The bank was sold and moved out in 1890. A series of saloons operated from that date until prohibition came to Washington in 1916.

Update Log 

  • February 4, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • February 4, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody