Good Templars Building #1

280 Quincy Street, Port Townsend, WA

Wood frame fraternal meeting hall built in 1870

Photo 

Good Templars Building #1

Photo taken by Richard Doody in January 2010

Enlarge

Description 

The International Order of Good Templars, a fraternal temperance society, began construction of this building in 1869. The upper floor was used for meetings and the first floor housed a playhouse used for lectures, plays and recitals. In 1888, a new owner fitted the building to accommodate sleeping rooms for male laborers. The Fraternal Order of Eagles bought the building in 1904. It was sold in 1995 to a to the Jefferson Community School.

Update Log 

  • February 5, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • February 5, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody