Fowler & Caines Building

Also known as: Lewis Building
628 Water Street, Port Townsend, WA

Three story brick and stone commercial building built in 1889

Photo 

Fowler & Caines Building

Photo taken by Richard Doody in January 2010

Enlarge

Description 

Whiteway & Schroeder, Architects designed this three story building in 1889 for Mary Caines Fowler and her son Robert M. Caines who operated the Clarendon Hotel on the premises. The U.S. Immigration Service and Chinese Inspector’s office ran a detention center for Chinese immigrants awaiting admittance or deportation here beginning in 1907. Fred Lewis purchased the building in 1931 and operated a furniture store on the ground floor until his death in 1966. The upper floors were occupied by the Alaska Rooms transient lodgings during that period.

Update Log 

  • February 6, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • February 6, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody