St. Joseph's Provincial House

Demolished
Also known as: Troy University
Troy, NY

Byzantine/Gothic academic building built in 1858 demolished in 1969

Photos 

Troy University/St. Joseph's Provincial House

From a Map of Troy 1858, courtesy of New York Public Library

Enlarge

Description 

This massive four story Byzantine/Gothic building with its four spires towered over Troy from the top of Mt. Ida for over a century. It was built in 1858 by the Methodist Episcopal Church to house Troy University. The school closed in 1862 due to financial problems and the building was subsequently purchased by the Roman Catholic diocese of Albany which opened it as St. Joseph's Theological Seminary of the Province of New York. The seminary operated until 1896 after which the building served a number of purposes including an orphanage. The building was purchased by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1958 to house its School of Management, Public Relations department and a portion of the Physics department. The building was judged structurally deficient and torn down in 1969.

Update Log 

  • March 3, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • March 3, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • February 27, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • February 27, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody