Greek Revival courthouse built in 1831 demolished in 1895
The county's board of supervisors met the following year to address the need for a new courthouse. The board, meeting at William Pierce's inn on November 15,1826, resolved to petition the state legislature for authority to levy a tax to finance construction and furnishing of a new building. The board also made an agreement with the Troy city council to provide certain rooms for the city in the new courthouse.
The old courthouse and jail were demolished and a new courthouse, modeled on the Greek Temple of Theseus, was built on the same site at a cost of $40,000. It was occupied in 1831. The City of Troy was assigned a mayor's courtroom and a common council chamber on the second floor and three rooms in the basement.
This second Rensselaer County Courthouse was demolished in 1895 to make way for construction of the third and present courthouse on the site.