North Baptist Baptist Church
Also known as: Fifth Avenue Baptist Church, St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Victorious Life Christian Church1838 Fifth Avenue, Troy, NY
Romanesque Revival style brick church built in 1863
North or Fifth Avenue Baptist Church
From A History of Troy & Vicinity, A.J. Weiss, 1892
The North or Fifth Avenue Baptist Church began on June 6, 1843 with 57 members from the First Particular Baptist Church. The church was burned in 1852, rebuilt, then burned again during the Great Fire of 1862. It was rebuilt in 1863 and still stands today. The church measures 92 feet by 67 feet has 11,000 square feet of space with a seating capacity of 300. The 133 feet high tower contains a bell weighing 2500 pounds.
The building at Fifth Avenue and Fulton Street has been home to various different congregations over the years. The First English Lutheran Church purchased the building from the Baptists in 1928 adopting the name of Central Evangelical Lutheran Church of Troy at that time. It became St. Johnís Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1944 following a merger with Trinity Lutheran Church. Victorious Life Christian Church purchased the building in 1991.
- March 5, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
- March 5, 2019: Added by Richard Doody