Romanesque Revival style brick church built in 1854
Saint Joseph's Catholic Church
Postcard published prior to 1923
In the spring of 1847 Rev. Havermans hired architect David Hathaway to design the church. Bishop John McCloskey presided at the laying of the building's cornerstone on May 21st of that year and later that month workers from the Troy Iron & Nail Factory began digging a foundation. Hathaway was forced to scale back his plan for the new edifice when a fire at St. Peter's Church on February 12, 1848 pinched the diocese's finances. Father Havermans celebrated the first mass in the partially completed St. Joseph's on November 1, 1848.
St. Joseph's was finally completed in 1854 at a cost of $100,000. The finished sanctuary seated 2,000 worshippers and included such items as marble altar, mahogany pews, baptistery, soaring bell tower with mounted bells, magnificent choir loft and organ, and 47 stained glass windows from the studios of Louis Comfort Tiffany. This believed to be the largest collection of Tiffany's works in a single building.