St. Mary's Catholic Church

196 Third Street, Troy, NY

Romanesque Revival style stone church built in 1904

Photos 

St. Mary's Catholic Church

1844-1898

From A Map of Troy 1858 courtesy of New York Public Library

Enlarge

Description 

St. Mary's was the second Catholic parish established in the city of Troy. Father Rev. Peter Havermans, pastor of St. Peter’s Church, obtained permission from Bishop Hughes to raise funds to build a church to serve the Irish community in south Troy with a convenient place of worship. The trustees of St. Peter’s Church purchased a lot on the northeast corner of Third and Washington streets on May 27, 1843. The cornerstone of St. Mary's was laid there on June 29th, 1843 and the brick edifice was dedicated on June 3, 1844 by Bishop McCloskey.

In October 1897, St. Mary’s pastor, the Father John F. Lowery, saw a need for a larger house of worship. The last mass in the old St. Mary’s church was celebrated in June 1898.

The cornerstone of the present church building was laid on Sunday, May 27, 1900 by the Rt. Reverend Thomas M. A. Burke, Bishop of Albany who also presided at the dedication on Sunday, May 8, 1904. The new church is a Medieval Gothic style building with quarry-faced limestone facades, a symmetrical main façade with three pointed arch entrances, rose window above, short corner towers, elaborate carved stone details. St. Mary’s Church was permanently closed on Sunday, June 6, 2010.

Update Log 

  • March 7, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added description of architectural details
  • March 5, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • March 5, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody