Lion Factory, James K.P. Pine Company

Also known as: United Shirt & Collar Company, Standard Manufacturing Company
724 Second Avenue, Troy, NY

Six story brick textile factory built between 1884 & 1897


Lion Factory, James K.P. Pine Company

From A History of Troy & Vicinity, A.J. Weise, 1892



One of the largest shirt and collar shops in the world, the Lion factory was constructed in several stages between 1884 and 1897 for James K.P. Pine, one of the most outstanding figures in Troy’s collar industry. Pine began in 1862 as a partner in the firm of Cole, Dyer & Pine and was a partner in five firms before 1880 when he founded the James K.P. Pine Company. In 1890, he consolidated five firms to form the United Shirt & Collar Company, which operated until 1922, three years after his death. The building was then sold to another cuff and collar maker, Standard Manufacturing Company, which continued to produce textiles here until 2016. The block long building which has dominated the Lansingburgh neighborhood for a century and a half was put up for sale at price of $3,000,000 in February 2018.

Update Log 

  • March 7, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • March 7, 2019: Added by Richard Doody


  • Richard Doody